I came up with this marinade for my honey, he loves Asian-inspired dishes.
For my vegan, vegetarian and pescatarian friends, this marinade would be great with veggies, organic firm non-GMO tofu, or fish.
Equipment: Cutting Board, Sharp Knife, Microplane Rasp/Zester or Standing Grater, Blender, Gallon-Size Ziplock Bag or Bowl for marinade, Baking Pan with Wire Roasting Rack
· 1 lemongrass – remove top, dice
· 2 inch chunk ginger – peeled, dice
· 1 leek – remove green tops and end, dice
· 3 fresh garlic cloves – peeled
· ½-1 lemon – zest and juiced
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· ½ teaspoon kelp granules (See Resources)
· ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt (See Resources)
· 3 tablespoons organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
· 2 tablespoons honey, organic grade B maple syrup or organic apple juice
· 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or substitute with gluten-free tamari)
· 1 tablespoon organic sesame oil
· 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional, omit for vegan/vegetarian)
· 2-3 pounds organic or pastured chicken thighs or drumsticks
1. Wash and prep lemongrass, ginger, leek, garlic and lemon. Remove top from lemongrass, peel the ginger, remove green tops and end of leek (make sure you get any sand out inside the leek when you wash it), and peel the garlic cloves. Rough chop the lemongrass, ginger and leek. Zest the lemon with a microplane rasp or a standing grater.
2. Add to blender - chopped lemongrass, ginger, leek, garlic and lemon zest to blender. Add juice from the lemon. Add thyme, kelp, sea salt, apple cider vinegar, honey, coconut aminos, sesame oil and optional fish sauce.
3. Pulse in blender until smooth and combined.
4. Place chicken (or veggies/tofu/fish) in gallon-size ziplock bag. Pour marinade over the chicken.
5. Marinade chicken in refrigerator for 24 hours or at least overnight. I turn the bag over a few times during the process, just to make sure the marinade gets on everything.
6. The next day, remove chicken from refrigerator. Let rest for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
8. Roast chicken on a wire rack over roasting pan for 20 minutes skin side down. Flip chicken at the 20 minute mark and roast skin side up for another 15 to 25 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Yield: Makes about 4-6 servings.
Note: This would also be wonderful grilled instead of baked.